Cooperation Worcester is an alliance of 9+ cooperatives and chapter of the US Federation of Worker Cooperatives with the following goals:
- Community Development in communities hit hardest by deindustrialization, prison system, immigration, ageism and racism.
- Creation of democratic places of dignified work.
- Wealth and resource building.
- Social and economic justice.
We use these Principal Strategies:
- Leveraging the purchasing power of anchor institutions to grow the local co-op movement.
- More info on We Own It campaign we’ve been planning for a few years: http://www.worcestersagealliance.org/?p=624
- Engage with economic development projects to secure local purchasing, such as Community Benefits Agreements with the Worcester Community Labor Coalition
- Encouraging Union – Cooperative collaboration including participating in the US Federation of Worker Co-op’s Union Co-op Council and educating other members of the Worcester Community Labor Coalition
- Form a new entity (possibly a co-op where members are co-ops) that helps us get purchasing agreements and have administrative capacity to fulfill the agreements (we support Worcester Roots’ Co-op Academy).